Photo Contest Extended! Students 12 and Up Invited to Participate!
NEW! The Photo Contest Deadline has been EXTENDED to October 15! And now students 12 and up are invited to participate (waiver for minor children is required, see below).
Official Rules and Guidelines
Download a copy here: Four Rivers photo contest guidelines REVISED
General Contest Information:
The sponsor of this contest is the Annapolis, London Town & South County Heritage Area, Inc., (ALTSCHA, Inc.) known by its marketing name as Four Rivers Heritage Area, with offices located in the Arundel Center, 44 Calvert Street, Annapolis MD 21401. Phone Number: 410-222-1805.
This is a contest to promote awareness of the history and heritage of the area. Contestants will take and submit photographs taken in historic downtown Annapolis, at a park or heritage attraction that is open to the public within our boundaries, and/or that include the Chesapeake Bay waterfront between Sandy Point State Park and Rose Haven, the waterfront of the rivers in the heritage area (Severn, South, West and Rhode). Please visit our website and download the brochure here to see the heritage area boundary map (colored green on Side B).
Concepts and topics to be considered are:
• Beauty: scenic shots of heritage-related vistas and waterways from all seasons.
• Recreation: people enjoying the waterways, public parks, roadways for paddling, sailing, biking, etc.
• Preservation: images that convey the value of preserving our agricultural lands and structures
• History and legacy: shots that demonstrate the stories and character of historic buildings and landmarks, showcasing them as relevant today as they were centuries ago
Who May Enter:
• The contest is open to both amateur and professional photographers.
• NEW! You must be at least 12 years old to submit a photograph in this contest. If you are under 18, your entry must be accompanied by a signed waiver — DOWNLOAD WAIVER FOR MINOR CHILDREN HERE: Four Rivers Photo Contest Waiver and Release for Minor Children
• Employees and Board members of the Four Rivers Heritage Area their immediate family members are not eligible to enter this contest.
How to Enter:
• Submissions will be accepted beginning on July 24, 2017 and ending on October 15, 2017.
• You must acknowledge that you have read, understand and agree to be bound by these Official Rules. By submitting an entry you warrant that your entry complies with all the requirements set out in these Official rules.
• Submitted photographs must be the original photograph of the entrant and must be the property of the entrant. They should be high-resolution; we suggest images that are 2048 pixels in length, or larger. Photos must have been taken within one year of submission for entry into this contest, and may not have been published previously in exchange for monetary payment.
• Photos should be submitted digitally by attachment to an e-mail addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Problems? Contact our office at 410-222-1805 for instructions on alternate means of submission.
• The first place winner will receive $100
• The second place winner will receive $50
• The third place winner will receive $25
• A “People’s Choice” winner will receive $25
There will be no monetary compensation for the use of any submitted photographs on our website.
• Official judging of the top three prizes will be performed by members of the Four Rivers Heritage Area board. Judges will make their selections based on the subject matter, composition, focus, lighting, uniqueness, and impact.
• Judging for the People’s Choice will be done by the public via Facebook. The photo with the most “likes” will win the People’s Choice award.
• All entrants retain their copyright rights in and to the photographs that they submit. By entering this contest, all entrants grant Four Rivers the irrevocable and perpetual right to reproduce, distribute, publicly display, publish, and create derivative works of all photograph entries in connection with Four River’s mission in any media now known or hereafter developed, including in Four Rivers publications, on websites, and other promotional materials. Four Rivers does not need to obtain additional consent from entrants relating to, or to notify entrants prior to, the use of any submitted photographs. Four Rivers will credit the photographer by the sole discretion of Four Rivers. In addition, Four Rivers reserves the right to edit captions.
• By submitting a photograph in this contest, the entrant grants Four Rivers the irrevocable and perpetual right to use the entrant’s name, city and state in connection with publicity regarding the contest and in connection with the use of the entrant’s photograph(s).
• Permission must be obtained from all individuals featured in photographs to allow their images for public use.
• All taxes are the sole responsibility of the winners.
• By entering this contest, all entrants agree to release and hold harmless Four Rivers, its officers, directors, employees and agents, from all claims, losses, damages and liabilities arising out of their participation in this contest and the acceptance of any prize awarded hereunder.
• This contest shall be governed by the laws of the State of Maryland, without regard to its conflict of law rules. The forum for any dispute shall be in Annapolis, Maryland.
Acknowledgement: These contest guidelines have been adapted from several sources, including the Chesapeake Bay Foundation’s very successful recent Photo Contest.