Search:
 

News

Oct 05 2017

Stewardship, land conservation, and the protection of our built environment are important components in our area’s heritage preservation efforts. Anne Arundel County provides opportunities to landowners to establish an agricultural preservation easement program that will ensure your land is available for the next generation. Landowners interested in preserving their land from development may qualify for one or more programs offered through Anne Arundel County in partnership with the Maryland Department of Agriculture and Department of Natural Resources. The most recent offers made through these programs ranged from $6,000 to $8,000 per acre. The County has three primary...

Read More
Oct 03 2017

Do you know a great heritage practitioner? Perhaps a valuable staff member or dedicated volunteer you would like to publically acknowledge? Four Rivers: The Heritage Area of Annapolis, London Town & South County seeks nominations for its Fourteenth Annual Heritage Awards. These awards recognize individuals, organizations, partnerships, programs and products that contribute significantly to the community by interpreting, promoting, preserving, researching and/or supporting our historical legacy. In 2017, awards are planned in nine different categories, including Heritage Tourism Product Award, Heritage Volunteer Award, Heritage Partnership Award, Heritage Professional of the Year, Heritage...

Read More
Sep 27 2017

Pop-Up Heritage is a series of FREE special events each month in the Four Rivers Heritage Area. Join us in October! Brothers in Arms: The Revolutionary Service of James and Edmund Brice Monday, October 16 12:00-1:15 p.m. and 7:00-8:15 p.m. William Paca House and Garden 186 Prince George Street, Annapolis During the Revolutionary War, James Brice served as Captain of the city militia and Lieutenant of the county militia, positions that earned him the honorary title “Colonel.” But James Brice wasn’t the only Colonel in the family; his youngest brother, Edmund, a professionally trained artist, was...

Read More
Sep 06 2017

Four Rivers Heritage Area is please to announce the availability of our Fall FY18 Mini-Grants! Applications in the new grant cycle are due by October 6 and funding decisions will be announced by November 1, 2017. The application is available on our website, here. Click on the Mini-Grants tab. These Mini-Grants are available for new heritage and preservation-related programs, activities, products, and events. We encourage Mini-Grant proposals that include collaborative partnerships and enhanced heritage tourism, preservation, and/or the stewardship of historical, cultural, and natural resources. Non-profit organizations and municipalities are eligible to apply for projects that will...

Read More
Sep 06 2017

There’s a lot happening in Galesville these days, from ballfield commemorations to public genealogy workshops.  Hope Stewart of Four Rivers talked with Gertrude Makell, President of the Galesville Community Center and a Four Rivers Heritage Area Board member, about this South County town and her efforts to preserve its history.  The Galesville Community Center went from being uninhabitable to a beautiful center. Tell me about this process? The Galesville Community Center is located in one of the few remaining Rosenwald Schools in Anne Arundel County (schools built for African American children...

Read More
Aug 08 2017

New! Four Rivers has created a new flyer for our Water Trail visitors! Check out the heritage attractions in Southern Anne Arundel County, while you are in the area enjoying our water access and beautiful water views! Download the flyer here: South County Water Trail Flyer reduced South County Water Trail information is available here: www.aacwt.org. More information about water access in the county is available here: http://www.aacounty.org/departments/recreation-parks/parks/water-accessibility/...

Read More
Aug 04 2017

Bill the Goat, the Naval Academy’s iconic mascot, is now enshrined at a new exhibit in the Armel-Leftwich Visitor Center at the Naval Academy. Bill the Goat has served as the official Naval Academy mascot since the 1890 inaugural Army-Navy football game. Since the original Bill’s debut, there have been at least 37 different live goat mascots, many of which have had the honor of wearing a game-day blanket laden with the N-Star, signifying a victory over Army. The unique history of the Bills and their admiration by midshipmen and Navy...

Read More
Aug 02 2017

A Capital Beginning In 1694, The Maryland General Assembly voted to move the colony’s capital from St. Mary’s City to what was then called Anne Arundel Town. Thus was laid the foundations of Annapolis’ “golden age,” which lasted from the late 1750s to 1776. The Town Plan Governor France Nicholson created a new town plan in 1696, whose central concept of circles and squares were inspired by European urban design. The most prominent hills were reserved for buildings that represented state and church, the two pillars of colonial society – Maryland State House...

Read More
Jul 31 2017

Some exciting plans are in the works for new displays and exhibits at the State House. Hope Stewart of Four Rivers interviewed Elaine Rice Bachmann, Deputy State Archivist and Secretary of the State House Trust (and past honoree as Four Rivers Heritage Professional of the Year in 2015), to learn more about the history and future of the Maryland State House. Do you find visitors to be aware of the significance of the State House as a local heritage destination? The Maryland State House attracts around 200,000 visitors every year. We’d like...

Read More